Why the Recommendation of 10% Added Sugar & what does it’s really means

Why the Recommendation of 10% Added Sugar & what does it’s really means

Recommendation of 10% Added Sugar: In July 2020, the Diocional Guidelines Advisory Committee (DGAC), made up of health professionals and nutritionists nationwide, reviewed science and made recommendations for the final version of the dietary guidelines. In December 2020, the 2020-2025 Dietary Guidelines for Americans (DGAs) were released and two specific recommendations surprised many. This includes final recommendations for added sugar and alcohol. Interestingly, however, the recommendation for extra sugar is more closely related to DGAC than you might think. Here’s a look at why these two recommendations have not been changed.

Read More: Add 7 easy steps to daily exercise routine and stay healthy.

Added Sugar

Based on scientific evidence, DGAC recommended limiting the extra sugar in the diet to 6% of total calories. However, after further review of the evidence, the final guidelines recommend limiting extra sugar to less than 10% of calories per day for 2 years or more and avoiding extra sugar for infants and toddlers. There was trauma among the community of health professionals; However, if you look closely at DGAs, you will see that the recommendations for adults are closer to 6% than you might think.

For the first time, DGAs explain how to balance dietary supplements with calorie-free foods. The recommendation is that 85% of calories should come from rich sources of nutrients including starch, fruits, vegetables, proteins, healthy fats, and low-fat or low-fat milk. The remaining 15% calories can come from saturated fats and added sugar. Assumption of DGAs is that someone will consume half of that amount (or 7.5% of total calories) from saturated fat and the other half (or 7.5% of total calories) from excess sugar. This is very close to the recommendations from DGAC. In addition, each 7.5% of saturated fat and added sugar does not look alcohol-free. As such, if one chooses to extract 15% of calories free from alcohol it can reduce the percentage allocated to saturated fat and add more sugar.

Now why 10% of saturated fat and added sugar? DGAs explain that if a person has extra calorie needs they will give him or her a room full of saturated fat – close to 10% of total calories. The same idea applies to added sugar. The opposite is also true. A person with fewer calorie needs is more likely to be close to 6% total calories of added sugar and / or saturated fat. It is a juggling action with many variations.

Alcohol

The second unchanged recommendation was the recommended amount of alcoholic beverages per day for men. DGAC recommends reducing the daily intake of men’s drinks to one another, but recent DGAs keep alcohol recommendations the same. This means that if you choose to drink, men should not have more than 2 drinks a day and women should not drink more than one drink a day. Alcohol supply is considered:

12 oz of beer (5% alcohol)

5 ok next wine (12% alcohol)

1.5 oz 80% air liquid containing vodka or rum (40% alcohol)

During the introduction of the latest DGAs; the USDA responded that there was not enough scientific evidence to make daily updates on men’s drinks. As such, it lasts 2 drinks a day.

TELL ME: What are your thoughts on the same sugar and alcohol recommendations?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.