Hotel collapse News: Seventeen people have been killed in a crash at a hotel in the eastern Chinese city of Suzhou. After 36 hours of searches, rescue workers found 23 people buried in the rubble – six of them found alive. Initial inquiries found that the collapse was caused by the owner changing the construction of the building, according to the Global Times. The building is said to have been renovated several times over the years. “The building used to have only three floors, but over the years they have been adding more floors,” one resident told Red Star News.
The Jiangsu provincial government said a team of investigators was looking into the danger; adding that “the people involved” would face criminal charges. The collapse of the Siji Kaiyuan Hotel in Suzhou occurred Monday at 15:33 local time (07:33 GMT). More than 600 rescue workers were sent to the scene.
Hotel collapse News Ending:
It was initially believed that there were 18 people in the 54-room hotel at the time of the crash, but it was later revealed that there were five unregistered guests inside.
Of the six people found alive, five were injured but were in stable condition. One person was not injured.
The collapse of China’s buildings has previously been linked to poor construction work.
Last year, 29 people were killed after a hotel crash in Fujian province. Investigators also found that there were “major problems” with the hotel’s construction, Xinhua reported.